Friday, April 29, 2011

Man, am I hungry for some fresh fish!

boneless northern pike fillets
It's been a long, cold, hard winter and the one thing I can't wait to do when ice-out comes to Red Lake is to catch some northern pike for the skillet!
My favorite pike to eat are those 20-25 inches long. They are big enough for us to easily take out the Y-bones and their fillets are thin enough that they are done perfectly on the inside when the outside is golden brown.
If you are new to Bow Narrows Camp it may come as a surprise that we remove ALL the bones from pike fillets. They are 100 per cent boneless and absolutely delicious.
I eat a lot of fish during the summer. In fact, if I had my way, I would eat fish every day. I just don't get tired of it. Pike one day and walleyes the next.
It frustrates Brenda that I really only like it fried or in a chowder.
Brenda has a secret recipe for flouring fish. (The secret ingredient is Corn Flake Crumbs. Shh!)
But she also uses store-bought recipes that our guests leave behind, beer batters, and concoctions she just whips up at the spur of the moment and couldn't do again if she tried. Frankly, I like them all.
But I'm not a fan of baked or poached fish. Some day I'll probably have some that I like but so far, it hasn't happened.
Click to go back to our website:
Click to see the latest on the blog:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH BOY!!!! THAT MAKES TWO OF US DAN. WENT FISHING WITH DARRELL YESTERDAY. CAUGHT SOME NICE CHANNEL CATS. CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE SOME FRESH PIKE THOUGH. SEE YOU IN A FEW WEEKS. DAVE M.