Monday, January 2, 2012

Single fisherman seeks other single fisherman


Are you a fisherman who would like to make a fishing trip to Canada but just don't have anyone to come fishing with you?
It's a common predicament.
I have often thought that it is harder to find a fishing partner than it is a spouse.
After all, a fishing partner has to be such a perfect match that you enjoy being stuck in the same boat with him for a week. Many married couples can't even do it!
At Bow Narrows Camp we have a fair number of single fishermen. Some just love fishing up here where the sport is at its best but don't have any friends who feel similarly. Some had always gone fishing with their dad or brother and then that person died or moved far away. Some are waiting and hoping that their sons or daughters will join them when they get old enough. Whatever the reason, they end up coming by themselves and although they have a good time they would be the first to tell you it would be more fun to share the experience with a buddy.
It's also easier to fish with a second person in the boat, someone to net your trophy, snap a photo of you releasing it and take turns running the outboard and dropping the anchor.
I suspect that the single fishermen who actually come to camp are just the tip of the iceberg.
There are probably many more who never get as far but would come if only they knew somebody.
Which brings me to this idea: Why not have a "matchmaking" service for anglers, a way that fishermen without partners can find other single fishermen?
In the 51 years that we've operated Bow Narrows Camp we have watched many thousands of fishermen interact and have a fairly good idea what makes two people compatible for the purposes of angling.
Some of it is just personal habits: Do you smoke? Drink alcohol and if so how much? Snore?
A lot more, however, are criteria that strictly have to do with fishing.
What species of fish do you prefer fishing for? Mostly walleye and some pike or all of one and none of the other?
How do you like to fish? Troll? Cast? Still-fish?
Do you use live or dead bait for fishing?
Do you release all your fish? Keep some fish for eating at camp but not take any home? Take some fish home but release all the big fish? Take home the maximum number and sizes allowed by law?
How do you feel about fishing in the rain? Snow? Wind? Hot days?
Would you go fishing before breakfast all the time, sometimes or never?
What is your preferred schedule for a fishing day?
How many years have you been fishing?
What would you do if your partner botches a netting job and the largest fish you've ever seen gets away?
On a scale of one-10, how much importance do you put on non-fishing experiences that occur while on a fishing trip such as seeing moose or bears or northern lights?
When you are fishing how much do you talk? As little as possible? Some of the time? Most of the time?
Do you prefer catching lots of fish, even if some of them are small, or to target only large fish even if it means catching fewer fish each day?
How often would you like to eat fish at camp?
How do you feel about fishing in the weeds? Fishing in the same area as other boats?
Answers to these questions would help single fishermen know if they might be compatible with another person. Do you have any other questions along these lines? If so, please leave your comments on the blog or send me an e-mail by writing to: fish@bownarrows.com
Depending on the reaction I get on this, I might go ahead with a formal questionnaire that I could e-mail single fishermen and then put similar folks in touch with each other.
If they lived relatively close to each other they might also be able to share the expense in traveling to Red Lake.
Readers and single fishermen, what are your thoughts on this?
Incidentally, the photo of the lone island on today's blog comes from Bow Narrows angler Ken Lehmann who has been visiting Bow Narrows Camp with a group of fellow anglers -- friends and relatives -- for many years. Ken's original photo was totally realistic and I have given it a photo-effect by altering the color balance. I felt it was an artistic choice to photograph a little island and the photo effect made it even more artistic. I hope you don't mind, Ken. If you do, let me know and I'll change it.

Click to go back to our website
Click to see the latest on the blog

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. As you know Dan, we have had trouble getting a fourth for a few years. Let us know how it works out
Joe Overman

Dan B. said...

I never "Googled" this topic before writing the blog but now that I have it seems that the hits that come up are just the usual romantic-dating services, but with the name of "fisherman" in their subjects.
Certainly there are also people searching for romantic partners who are also anglers. But that is not my intent. I just wondered if there was a demand for honest-to-goodness fishermen looking for a like-minded fishing friend.

Kim Gross said...

Good idea! I might be in this boat someday, at least for the Sept. trip.

Doug Billings said...

Dan,

I would be interested in that offer if I knew for sure that I was going to be a single angler. Of course, I have told you that I hope to have my son join me this coming summer, if he gets home from his tour in Afghanistan by my camp date.

I will do my best to keep you posted as to the number in my little party.

Thanks,

Doug

Dan B. said...

We also hope your son can make the trip with you. It's good to know though that you find the concept interesting.

Unknown said...

Dan;

I reconized the photo as mine right away, but said hey the colors wrong. :-) Actually the color shift works for me, warms it up a bit.

Ken

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a good idea. As you know, there has been times we had to fish three in a boat. Although this is ok, it is much more comfortable with two in the boat. Not sure how the rest of the group would feel about this. Dave M.