Monday, August 20, 2012

The lemon-meringue pie that ate Bow Narrows!


It was bound to happen.
Jenn Bucci, our cook, couldn't leave well-enough alone. In her quest to bake ever-higher lemon meringue pies she finally went beyond the limits of nature.
No pie was meant to have 5 1/2 inches of sticky, lemony meringue on it. The meringue was so thick that gravity compressed the lemon filling into something no dessert eater ever wants to contemplate: a living pie!!!
Something, call it a sixth sense, told me not to get too close to the row of colossal pies. But I had to get right in there, just to record the immense thickness of meringue. I needed photographic evidence! Would you have believed me if I told you the pies had 5 1/2 inches of meringue on them? "Sure buddy, and I'm the Tooth Fairy!"
So I leaned in for the shot of mountainous meringue. I thought at first that I had just moved too close. The pies looked like the Himalayas. I backed away but the pies were still just as huge in the lens. Too late I realized that the pies were coming at me! I was backed into a corner and already stuck like a fly in a web.
My "fight or flight" instinct too over. Only this time it was more like "eat or be stuck for the rest of my life" instinct. In the end, I just licked my fingers and said cockily to the remaining pies, "Alright, who's next?"
Click to go back to our website
Click to see the latest on the blog

No comments: